God Delights in Surprises

One of my good friends recently had to keep a big secret from his wife. It killed him to have to lie to her face every time she asked, all the more because she would get more and more upset about not knowing. Sometimes he had to leave the room when they were talking, so afraid was he of spilling the beans. Every time he had to hide the truth, he said a little prayer -- God, forgive me.

The secret was a surprise baby shower for his pregnant wife. The day finally arrived, and she was indeed surprised, as well as overcome with joy. My friend was joyful, too, but more relieved. This wonderful thing he and others had been planning, that he had had to conceal for so long -- even though so many times he wanted to alleviate her sadness about not having a baby shower by telling that, yes, a huge one was in the works -- could finally be unveiled.

I wonder if God is like this sometimes. We are upset because something we want is slow in arriving, or we have lost hope altogether that we'll ever see it. All the while, He's cooking something up for us that will absolutely exceed our wildest imaginations. Like my friend, does it pain Him to see us agonize? Or, also like my friend, is He stifling a grin, knowing that the very thing we yearn for is what He's at that very moment preparing for us?

All I know is that I hope I am able to remember this parable when I am pining before God for something. That this perspective will help me to be patient with God's timing, trusting that He has my best in mind, open in my heart and mind for what wonderful things are even now being cooked up.

Comments

Popular Posts