Blog Rules

Part of my OCD nature is the rules I set for myself. Some of them are for moral purposes – do do this, don’t do that. Others are for self-disciplinary reasons – to make the best use of my time, to take care of my body. And still others are symbolic – touching my heart and blowing a kiss whenever I see a US flag, or raising my hand every time I hear a certain praise song that reminds me of Christian martyrs.

I have blog rules, too, and here they are:

1. No more than one post per day. If the muse hits me more than once in a day, oh well.
2. Minimal editing of what I’ve written. It’s a musing, not a published article.
3. Mix up the topics. I try not to sit on a favorite topic for more than a few posts in a row.
4. No navel-gazing. Rarely will I write about the minutiae of my life, unless it’s about capturing the texture of urban life.
5. Don’t take myself too seriously. I like to communicate with authority, which can sometimes be confused for stuffiness or competence. Rest assured I usually have neither when I’m blogging.
6. No privates. While I seek to be open and vulnerable, I also want to be discreet. And when in doubt, I err on the side of discretion.

So there you have it, the pinnacle of my OCD-ness, that I would 1) have blog rules, 2) list them in a post, and 3) not be ashamed one bit about #1 and #2. Now if you’ll excuse me, I have another list to make.

Comments

Popular Posts