NO EMAIL
Our email server has been down for over twenty-four hours. I feel like I've been disconnected from my umbilical cord. From a personal and professional standpoint, this is true. Because I work from home, email is how I conduct 75% of my interactions with staff and clients -- I've even come to use email to exchange witty and sarcastic remarks with co-workers, now that we no longer gather around the proverbial water cooler. Most of my friends are scattered around the world; I hear from them, much more often than not, via email.
Among the many amazing things the Internet was supposed to do: 1) replace TV as the predominant information network for the latest news, and 2) replace the personal touch in business and personal relationships. Oh for two in my book. TV is it, while the Internet has lagged way behind during elections, tragedies, and wars. And our dependence on email has only made the personal touch that much more powerful and necessary.
Still I get a little antsy when access to email has been cut off for more than a day. Who's waiting to hear back from me about an urgent business item? And who sent me important personal news that I haven't yet gotten a chance to digest? I gotta know. Plus, at this rate, who can fathom the volume of junk mail that's waiting me once I finally get access!
73-91 born SEA lived SJC 00 married (Amy) home (UCity) 05 Jada (PRC) 07 Aaron (ROC) 15 Asher (OKC) | 91-95 BS Wharton (Acctg Mgmt) 04-06 MPA Fels (EconDev PubFnc) 12-19 Prof GAFL517 (Fels) | 95-05 EVP Enterprise Ctr 06-12 Dir Econsult Corp 13-26 Principal Econsult Solutions 18-21 Phila School Board 19- Owner Lee A Huang Rentals LLC | Bds/Adv: Penn Weitzman, PIDC, YMCA | Mmbr: Brit Amer Project, James Brister Society
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Too Short for a Blog Post, Too Long for a Tweet 550
Here are a few excerpts from a book I recently read, "John Adams," by David McCullough. When the door opened, they proceeded,...
-
PHILADELPHIA NAMED BEST CITY FOR NEW GRADS How about Philly besting Boston, New York, Chicago, Atlanta, and every other city in America for ...
-
I came to bell hooks late. I was already in my 20s, already a parent, and firmly fed up with the ways that white middle class feminism Oth...
No comments:
Post a Comment