3.04.2026

Too Short for a Blog Post, Too Long for a Tweet 516

 


Here are a couple of excerpts from a book I recently read, "Can't Hurt Me: Master Your Mind and Defy the Odds," David Goggins.


Steam billowed all around me. It rippled off my skin and poured from my soul. What started as a spontaneous venting session had become a solo intervention. 

“It’s on you,” I said. “Yeah, I know sh*t is fucked up. I know what you’ve been through. I was there, b*tch! Merry f*cking Christmas. Nobody is coming to save your *ss! Not your mommy, not Wilmoth. Nobody! It’s up to you!” 

By the time I was done talking, I was shaved clean. Water pearled on my scalp, streamed from my forehead, and dripped down the bridge of my nose. I looked different, and for the first time, I’d held myself accountable. A new ritual was born, one that stayed with me for years. It would help me get my grades up, whip my sorry *ss into shape, and see me through graduation and into the Air Force. 

The ritual was simple. I’d shave my face and scalp every night, get loud, and get real. I set goals, wrote them on Post-It notes, and tagged them to what I now call the Accountability Mirror, because each day I’d hold myself accountable to the goals I’d set. 




See, most civilians don’t understand that you need a certain level of callousness to do the job we were being trained to do. To live in a brutal world, you have to accept cold-blooded truths. I’m not saying it’s good. I’m not necessarily proud of it. But special ops is a calloused world and it demands a calloused mind.

No comments:

On the Folly of Rewarding "A" While Hoping for "B"

  Leaving the comforts of suburban San Jose on the West Coast to attend college at the University of Pennsylvania in Philadelphia on the Eas...