Recommended Reads, 46th in a Quarterly Series



Books I've read lately that I would recommend:

* 12 Rules for Life: An Antidote to Chaos (Peterson). Of late he has said (and then doubled down on) some vile things, which is incongruous with his thoughtful and reasoned past writings like this book.

* Iliad and Odyssey (Homer). Must-read among the classics for cultural reasons, and an entertaining experience to boot.

* The Address Book: What Street Addresses Reveal About Identity, Race, Wealth, and Power (Mask). I adored this book: a clever topic, expertly researched and engagingly written.

* Americanah (Adichie). So exquisitely organized and written. I will cherish my time in this story.

* Goldfinch (Tartt). A dramatic and sweeping story I look forward to consuming in movie form soon.

* White Fragility: Why It's So Hard for White People to Talk About Racism (DiAngelo). Some really useful frameworks for understanding and pushing through barriers to overcoming racism.

* As Long as Grass Grows: The Indigenous Fight for Environmental Justice, from Colonization to Standing Rock (Gilio-Whitaker). I really enjoyed the intersection between environmental issues and Native American history.

 


Comments

Popular Posts