Turning 40

http://media-cache0.pinterest.com/upload/16044142392135782_vTb4ccdB_b.jpg
I turn 40 today.  It's not a fun age to turn.  But I think back to 20 years ago when, as I was turning 20, I prayed this prayer: "God, you are my God now, and you will be my God when I am 30."  And I think back to 10 years ago when, as I was turning 30, I prayed this prayer: "God, you are my God now, and you will be my God when I am 40."  And now that I am turning 40, I pray this prayer: "God, you are my God now, and you will be my God when I am 50."

A lot changes from 20 to 30 to 40 to 50.  At 20, I was still in college; at 30, I had been in the workforce for eight years and married for three; at 40, I've got two kids; and at 50, those two kids will be teenagers on the doorstep of college.  But God is the same: same awesomeness, same faithfulness, same might, same tenderness, same promises, same authority.  And so I am anchored, not by my circumstances or by my scheming or even by my faith, but by my God. 




Comments

Nicholas said…
Amen! And therefore - Happy Birthday!

Popular Posts