Going to the Chapel, and We're Going to Get There By Walking


Jada has been to San Jose eight times in her life, including twice this year (most recently last month), so she's familiar with how the place works. Namely that you drive everywhere: to the park, to the grocery store, to friends and family. But all those times, I had never taken her to church until this past trip. So when we headed out of the house that Sunday morning and I opened our car doors to get in, she was stuck to the sidewalk as if someone had glued her shoes there. I looked back as if to ask why she wasn't getting in, and she looked back at me quizzically and said, "Are we driving to church?" Somehow, in her head, she knew you can drive to lots of places, especially when you're in California, but church is for walking to. I smiled back at her with a proud smile: that's my urban church girl.


Comments

Popular Posts