9.11.2008

70-Minute Getaway

I knew that back-to-back presentations would have me out until past 8
yesterday, and since I usually work a 10-hour day, I decided to take
the morning off and roll in at 10. This is not an unusual start time
for many, but was a revelation for me. Combined with bringing the
kids to day care one hour early, it meant I could not only go running
after I dropped them off, but go for a longer than usual jaunt.

I can't tell how you how giddy I was with anticipation. I rousted the
kids up at 6:20, sped them through diapers and clothes and breakfast,
and had them out the door by 6:45. After dropping them off at 7 and
returning home with the stroller by 7:15, I was out the door with my
running clothes on within minutes.

For someone whose usual run needs to be done before the kids wake up,
running at this hour - and without the pressure of having to get done
quickly - put a whole new spin on things. Daylight also makes for a
more relaxing run; you can look at things, and don't have to worry
about people jumping you.

I decided to take Walnut Street through the Penn campus and into
Center City. I passed by Le Bec Fin and high-end retail, crossed
Broad Street, entered the Jefferson Hospital area, and then darted by
Independence Hall. From there, it's a big pedestrian bridge that gets
you across six lanes of I-95 plus Columbus Boulevard and onto Penn's
Landing. I stretched there, looking out into the Delaware River,
Camden, the Ben Franklin Bridge, and battleships. From there, I
followed the water's edge and then cut back across Columbus Boulevard
and I-95 and onto South Street. Surprisingly, since I was well past
my usual run length, I felt great, so crossing back across Broad
Street, cutting through the Graduate Hospital area, and taking the
South Street Bridge back to the Penn campus, I actually quickened my
pace.

When I got home, I was able to stretch thoroughly, shower leisurely,
and read the paper over breakfast. No kids, no rushing, just me. Of
course, I have my wife to thank for getting everything ready for me in
the morning and for tending to the kids solo in the evening while I
was out late, so this was a nice treat but not likely a regular
addition to my routine. Still, it was nice to have a little morning
getaway in the midst of a very busy week.

2 comments:

The Crew said...

Hi Lee,
I hope you remember me. Stephanie Brown from Florida. (I met you through The Enterprise Center) I was wondering about you today because I was thinking of my days of youth entrepreneurship. I googled you and ta dah. Wow, your family has REALLY grown. Cute kids. I am thinking of reentering the world of youth entrepreneurship. What are you doing these days?

LH said...

Good to hear from you, Stephanie. Are you still in the Tampa / St. Pete area? Best of luck on your new endeavor.

It's Long Overdue But Now Philly's Slamming

    The announcement of LeBron James choosing to play for the Philadelphia 76ers for the next two years hit our fair city like a lightning b...