A LATE HOMAGE TO THE FALLEN

Memorial Day was almost two weeks ago, but I want to memorialize those who gave the ultimate sacrifice in service to nation and freedom. On Thursday, I went to Arlington National Cemetery, partly as a tourist and partly to pay my respects. In sweltering heat, I bypassed the $10 shuttle and hiked along the rolling hills to JFK’s tomb and then the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier. I watched a wreath ceremony and read placards of various squadrons and fleets.

And I took in the rows and rows of white tombstones, lined up so orderly that you couldn’t help but think that these fallen soldiers were rightly in formation, in death as they were in life. I read the tombstone faces, and noted the ages of the deceased and the war(s) they had fought in. Whether these brave soldiers had volunteered to serve or were enlisted meant little to me in the moment; what was important was that when our country was at war, they fought. And they died.

I have not yet fought. And I live. And after my visit to Arlington, I want to remember to live giving honor and expressing thanks to those who fought and died, and in doing so not only made the ultimate sacrifice but contributed to safeguarding my freedom and my country. To the fallen, I say thank you and well done.

Comments

Popular Posts