The Importance of Allyship



This video is over two years old but I watched it for the first time last month and it made me tear up. Kyle Korver and Dwyane Wade, who in addition to being great basketball players are also stand-up guys, accomplished so much in speaking out against anti-Asian hate. You really have to watch this, especially if you are of Asian descent.

All allyship is good. When someone who isn't in your shoes walks a mile in those shoes and expresses empathy and concern, it is such a wonderful act of compassion. For Asian-Americans, I think it hits even harder because part of the struggle we face is not just our share of hardships but the sense that we are being silenced, dismissed, made invisible. For two prominent guys, one white and one Black, to say what they said is so powerful for feeling seen and heard. I tip my hat to them both and to all others, famous or not, who speak up and speak out for us.

Comments

Popular Posts