Opposites Attract




Behind every good show is well-conceived character development. I recently watched "Money Heist" on Netflix and absolutely adored it, in no small part because the main characters drew me into their vulnerabilities, aspirations, and interactions. 

Of course I resonated with "the Professor," whose cunning, thinking through all the possibilities in advance, and pulling off an audacious plan with perfect execution are things I could celebrate and aspire to. But, I found myself also enjoying the "Denver" character too, who could not be more diametrically opposed to the Professor: compulsive, entertainer, irrational.

Perhaps every person has an alter ego aspect of them. The demure person harboring a wild side, a constant tinkerer having a lazy aspect about themselves, and so on. Or, perhaps we are comfortable with our traits AND respect the heck out of the opposite of those traits.

I hope that's the case with me. It's not a coincidence that, as an INTJ in the Myers-Briggs, I've always had my polar opposite represented in close relationships in my life. ESFP's were some of my closest friends in high school and college, and I currently am co-president with an ESFP.

Whether for social or business purposes, opposites who respect their opposites can be profoundly good. As on "Money Heist," diversity of strengths and perspectives adds spice to relationships. And in business, having complementary strengths helps cover all the bases and avoid blind spots.

It is only natural to seek out and naturally enjoy people like ourselves. I am no different, enjoying immensely the company of fellow INTJ's in my personal and work lives. Yet life is best when you find others who are your polar opposite. What a wonderful partnership, community, and shared life can result.

Comments

Popular Posts