The Trade-Offs We Make

People can sometimes talk about work-life balance as leaving work early to go to your daughter's graduation.  But that's only one half of the story, and as the phrase implies, it's about balance.  So really it's leaving work early to go to your daughter's graduation, and being fully present there to revel in the ceremony, play paparazzi afterwards, and continue the celebration over dinner...but then after all the kids are in bed, catch up on a half-day's worth of emails and tasks and prep. 

My balance is complicated by two additional responsibilities, serving on the Philadelphia Board of Education and teaching a grad-level course at Penn.  Each of these, at different points in the week, similarly require my undivided attention, only after which can I resume my responsibilities to work or to family.  Which can make for late nights, early mornings, and not much free time.

These are the trade-offs we make when we choose into giving a crap about our jobs and wanting to be there for our family members and stepping into opportunities for public service.  There are days when I wish my life was simpler, but you will not find me grumbling either publicly or privately, and not because I'm good at holding it in.  I like everything my life consists of.  Work-life balance for people of limited means and choices can be a real slog, and not everything is likeable.  I am privileged to not be in that situation.  Work-life balance for people like me who have options is about a life full of good things, which we are glad for but which we sometimes have to make tough trade-offs in order to be true to them.  But it's all good.

Comments

Popular Posts