Social Media Diet

It's been almost three years since I ran this post on things I regularly post on social media, whether topics or hashtags.  Thought it would be helpful to update this form of self-documentation.

First, I'll say that most of this still holds up three years later.  I do do a lot more "too long for a tweet, too short for a blog" posts because I'm lazier and busier.  And a few more hashtags have entered into the "Musings" lexicon, like #SorryNotSorry, #DaddyAcademy, and (replacement for #FitBitOrgasm) #EveryLittleStepITake.



But largely it's the same general approach.  Write blogs (here and at "Huang Kid Khronicles"), which end up on my Facebook and Twitter pages.  Take pics (mostly of my family) and post them on Instagram, where they also end up on my Facebook and Twitter pages.  And every once in a while, post random musings directly to Facebook and Twitter.

So that's the production side.  What about interactivity?  Well of course I try to respond to people's comments and questions.  And I appreciate the likes, loves, and thumbs-ups.  But alas, I have little time for my own comments, questions, and likes/loves/thumbs.  I do occasionally scroll through Facebook and Twitter, essentially using it as a quick news feed on people and topics I'm interested in.  I wish I had more time for Instagram, because I'm very visually oriented and it would also be a great way to stay in touch with people and issues I follow, but instead I've decided to solely follow travel and nature accounts to get my photography fix.  

And that's it.  When many people are lamenting that they spend too much time on social, I am the opposite.  There is a whole world out there, of cherished family moments and high-quality photos and news takes, that I can not only consume but interact with the posters of said info, and yet days can go by before I have the time for barely a peek.  I obviously get how time can be wasted on social.  But the response to overeating isn't eating nothing.  My social media diet is rich.  But I wish for a few more calories.

Comments

Popular Posts