Reading is an important thing in my life. Not only is it one of the few things I do for fun, and a necessary recharge for this introvert who is constantly swimming in extroverted settings, but it is a vital source of information for growing and sharpening and challenging myself.
So I'm ashamed to say that it is only since very recently that I have put real effort into diversifying the voices I am taking in through the pages of the books I read. Here, for example, is the breakdown of books I read in 2013, less than five years ago (partials represent co-authors who I split 50/50):
White men - 42.5
White women - 5
Men of color - 2.5
Women of color - 0
Ugh ugh ugh. So far in 2018, I'm doing much better:
White men - 6
White women - 6.5
Men of color - 4.5
Women of color - 8
By the way, here's another way of parsing my reading lists, which is by type and topic. First, 2013:
37 non-fiction (non-biographical)
8 biographies, autobiographies, memoirs, or fictional stories focused on white men
3 biographies or autobiographies, memoirs, or fictional stories focused on men of color
2 biographies or autobiographies, memoirs, or fictional stories focused on white women
0 biographies or autobiographies, memoirs, or fictional stories focused on women of color
Now 2018 (I'm counting Kareem Abdul-Jabbar's book about his relationship with Coach John Wooden as 50/50):
10 non-fiction (non-biographical)
1.5 biographies, autobiographies, memoirs, or fictional stories focused on white men
5.5 biographies or autobiographies, memoirs, or fictional stories focused on men of color
2 biographies or autobiographies, memoirs, or fictional stories focused on white women
6 biographies or autobiographies, memoirs, or fictional stories focused on women of color
As always, I welcome your recommendations.
73-91 born SEA lived SJC 00 married (Amy) home (UCity) 05 Jada (PRC) 07 Aaron (ROC) 15 Asher (OKC) | 91-95 BS Wharton (Acctg Mgmt) 04-06 MPA Fels (EconDev PubFnc) 12-19 Prof GAFL517 (Fels) | 95-05 EVP Enterprise Ctr 06-12 Dir Econsult Corp 13-26 Principal Econsult Solutions 18-21 Phila School Board 19- Owner Lee A Huang Rentals LLC | Bds/Adv: Penn Weitzman, PIDC, YMCA | Mmbr: Brit Amer Project, James Brister Society
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
It's Long Overdue But Now Philly's Slamming
The announcement of LeBron James choosing to play for the Philadelphia 76ers for the next two years hit our fair city like a lightning b...
-
PHILADELPHIA NAMED BEST CITY FOR NEW GRADS How about Philly besting Boston, New York, Chicago, Atlanta, and every other city in America for ...
-
I recently had a humorous but telling incident on my bus ride into work. It being rush hour, the vehicle is often crowded and even standin...

No comments:
Post a Comment