Recommended Reads, 23rd in a Quarterly Series
So many books, so little time. These past three months included two trips (California, Orlando) plus a foray into some African-American classics.
* The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks (Skloot). You can't make this stuff up.
* 41: A Portrait of My Father (Bush). Loved W's love and admiration for his dad.
* Twelve Years a Slave (Northup). A difficult read on many levels.
* The Omnivore's Dilemma: A Natural History of Four Meals (Pollan). Far-ranging and thoughtful without being barfy.
* I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings (Angelou). Beautifully written; I was transported.
* Invisible Man (Ellison). A searing account of the black male experience in America.
* First Family: Abigail and John Adams (Ellis). Loved seeing this period of American history through the lens of a couple's relationship.