University, City

http://photos.uwishunu.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/BaltAveDollarStroll_J.Fusco_47.jpgI'm obviously biased but I can't help but think that there is exploding interest in a certain kind of urban living situation that has the following characteristics (in no particular order):

  • Affordable
  • Racial/ethnic/socio-economic diversity
  • Historic architecture
  • Trees
  • Lots of non-car transportation options (transit, bike share, car share)
  • Good neighborhood public school
  • Nearby green space
  • Great retail
  • Near major employment centers
  • Safe

You know where I'm going with this.  University City is a great example of just such a neighborhood, circa 2015.  Many of my college classmates, who graduated with me 20 years ago, weren't from Philly and didn't stay in Philly, so their impression of my neighborhoods is from the mid-1990's and the notion that you could raise a family here is crazy to think. 

Penn's presence and investments obviously play a huge part in making University City what it is, and it is interesting to see how campus-proximate locations have become hot places for all kinds of people to live, from millennials to young families to retirees.  The intersection between universities and cities has proven to be a vibrant place, and I'm thankful to have fallen into such a residential location for my family.

Comments

Popular Posts