Let’s Talk, Part II

As noted yesterday, this week is all about creating a venue for conversation.

My first topic is purely selfish although hopefully with some broader social value.  Having recently become the father of an African-American child, my challenge is to help Asher tap into that part of his identity in the absence of either him having African-American parents to guide him or me having any of my own experience to draw from.  So I am seeking your help in knowing what’s important.

This is obviously a very broad topic so I want to start small.  Today’s question is: what is important for Amy and me to know and for Asher to experience in his first year of life?  This is intentionally open-ended, as I am seeking a wide range of answers, from cultural high points to personal experiences to sociological insights to practical advice.  We could use your help!

Comments

Popular Posts