Too Long for a Tweet, Too Short for a Blog Post XVIII

Here's an excerpt from a book I just finished, "I am Malala: The Girl Who Stood Up for Education and Was Shot by the Taliban," by Malala Yousafzai

Then they told me about the call from home and that they were taking the threats seriously. I don’t know why, but hearing I was being targeted did not worry me. It seemed to me that everyone knows they will die one day. My feeling was nobody can stop death; it doesn’t matter if it comes from a Talib or cancer. So I should do whatever I want to do. 

"Maybe we should stop our campaigning, Jani, and go into hibernation for a time,”said my father. “How can we do that?”I replied. “You were the one who said if we believe in something greater than our lives, then our voices will only multiply even if we are dead. We can’t disown our campaign!”People were asking me to speak at events. How could I refuse, saying there was a security problem? We couldn’t do that, especially not as proud Pashtuns. My father always says that heroism is in the Pashtun DNA. 

Comments

Popular Posts