You Are Now About to Witness the Strength of Street Knowledge

I'm not gonna lie: I was totally shocked to find out that there's a "Straight Outta Compton" movie coming out later this year.  Me and my fellow straight A suburban Asian friends got into NWA our junior and senior years in high school, and it was just mind-blowingly different than anything we'd ever heard before.  The incendiary lyrics, the cussing, the glorification of the gangsta lifestyle...I mean, what wasn't there to geek out about?    

I still listen to NWA every so often - it takes me back to my teen years, the production is just so tight, and it's fun to realize that yes in fact I do know every lyric even after 25+ years.   And the rage against the police is frighteningly prescient in light of recent events.  Take, for example, Ice Cube's opening line from F**k the Police: "F**k the police coming straight from the underground, a young n***a got it bad cause I'm brown; and not the other color so police think they have the authority to kill a minority..."

I don't watch movies and I definitely don't go to the theaters but you might just find me in line in August.



Comments

Popular Posts