Local Leaders

http://www.newsworks.org/images/stories/flexicontent/l_miller_bethx300.jpgThis fall I have joined or will be joining the boards of three great local organizations:

http://www.sbnphiladelphia.org/images/uploads/jamie%202.JPG
1. The Community Design Collaborative is a community design center that provides pro bono preliminary design services to nonprofit organizations in greater Philadelphia, offers unique volunteer opportunities for design professionals, and raises awareness about the importance of design in community revitalization. 

2. The mission of the Sustainable Business Network is to build a just, green, and thriving economy in the Greater Philadelphia region. We accomplish this by educating and growing a broad base of local, independent businesses and educating policymakers and the public.
 
3. The Welcoming Center for New Pennsylvanians connects newly arrived individuals from around the world with the economic opportunities that they need to succeed in our region. Since opening our doors in 2003, we have assisted more than 10,000 people from over 140 countries.

(Some of you I have already hit up for your time or you money to help these places, or I'm picking your brain about what we can do better.  I will continue to do so under the assumption that if you're not interested or available, you'll tell me so or just ignore me.)

http://media.philly.com/images/600*450/I-120409934.jpgDesign, sustainability, and immigration are three topics near and dear to my heart, and three things that make cities great and that can and do make Philadelphia great.  So it's neat to be able to learn and contribute through these venues. 

It's also neat to be able to work with and learn from the three great leaders of these organizations.  At the risk of thoroughly embarrassing the heck out of them (they are too modest to enjoy being feted), let me gush about them for a second.  Beth Miller, Jamie Gauthier, and Pete Gonzales are three people I admire, as professionals and as people and as thought leaders.   They are people whose company I enjoy so much that I have wished for more time with them.  And now that I am serving alongside them, my wish has come true.  Philly is better for their hustle, as am I, and am happy to assist them as they pour their hearts and souls into their respective organizations and missions.


Comments

Popular Posts