Fall is in the air, and football games are on the tube...life is good. I am particularly savoring these precious moments, because they may be numbered.
Not fallish weather, of course, which will arrive every year from now until forever. I'm talking about football, which threatens to be a fringe sport by the time I'm bouncing grandkids on my knee.
How is this possible, you ask? After all, the NFL is at the peak of its powers, popularity, and passion. There can't possibly be an end to the fun, can there?
Here's how it might go down. With the exception of the South and the Rust Belt, parents are nervous about pushing football and kids decide the road to stardom is safer in other sports. There follows a slow decline of participation and interest, with things like insurance coverage and new research on early head trauma pushing things further down. The very best athletes end up in other pursuits, which is a double whammy for the NFL: fewer studs for them, more for competing sports leagues. Next thing you know it, football is like hockey: beloved in some parts, but not garnering nearly the attention or revenues as other sports.
I hope this doesn't happen. I'm not even entirely sure I buy everything I've written above. But I'm enjoying every minute of pro football this season with extra measure, just in case.
73-91 born SEA lived SJC 00 married (Amy) home (UCity) 05 Jada (PRC) 07 Aaron (ROC) 15 Asher (OKC) | 91-95 BS Wharton (Acctg Mgmt) 04-06 MPA Fels (EconDev PubFnc) 12-19 Prof GAFL517 (Fels) | 95-05 EVP Enterprise Ctr 06-12 Dir Econsult Corp 13-26 Principal Econsult Solutions 18-21 Phila School Board 19- Owner Lee A Huang Rentals LLC | Bds/Adv: Penn Weitzman, PIDC, YMCA | Mmbr: Brit Amer Project, James Brister Society
9.10.2013
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Course Correction
They say that how you do one thing is how you do everything. I'm not sure that's true. But I do know that how you play golf is a p...
-
PHILADELPHIA NAMED BEST CITY FOR NEW GRADS How about Philly besting Boston, New York, Chicago, Atlanta, and every other city in America for ...
-
I came to bell hooks late. I was already in my 20s, already a parent, and firmly fed up with the ways that white middle class feminism Oth...

No comments:
Post a Comment