What’s Next


http://s4.cdn.memeburn.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/Looking-into-the-Future.jpg
Today’s post is half-baked or less.  I may finish baking later, but for now I leave it open-ended on purpose, if only to stimulate the kind of thought and discussion that will help me finish baking. 

Over the past couple of days, I have read three articles from three of the most esteemed publications in the world.  They speak to big global themes that will likely define the next decade and beyond:

From the New York Times, a column by David Brooks on the increasing ethnic diversity of America, and its implications for race, politics, and alliances.  My takeaway: entrenched power dynamics will eventually give way to a more fluid and tolerant social structure, but how long will that transition take and how smooth will it be?

From the Financial Times [log-in needed], a story about how rising wages in developing countries are pushing multinational companies to further automate their production processes.  My takeaway: we always lost more jobs to the machines than to lower-wage countries, but that is going to accelerate even more, so how will we adjust our educational and vocational infrastructure in response?

From the Wall Street Journal, a story about how a growing global middle class, informed by social media and emboldened by their resulting connectivity to others like them in other countries, are no longer accepting the status quo as their lifelong fate.  My takeaway: how much blood will freedom cost, and what will the newly free do with their hard-fought prize?

As time permits, I would like to think on this more, on at least three planes.  First, as a Christian: what does this mean for representing Jesus in 2013 and for broadcasting His message to more and more people?  Second, as a parent: how can I best prepare my children to be happy, prosperous, and influential in the world they will grow up into?  Third, as an urbanist: what will thriving cities look like, and what can be done by a range of actors to get to that?

That’s all I have for now: questions, no answers.  I welcome your reactions.

Comments

Popular Posts