The kids and I were on our way home from driving a friend to the airport when Jada remarked at the vastness of the Sunoco oil refinery off the Platt Bridge on the way back to our part of town. I told her it was a refinery and asked her if she knew what a refinery way. She said no so I proceeded to tell her, and also used the opportunity for a lesson about God.
Refining oil, I explained, meant heating it at a very high temperature, at which any impurities in it got burned off, leaving only pure oil. I also told her that the Bible speaks of this process as an analogy of how God sometimes works on us. There might be times, I told my kids, when God was refining them, and it might hurt, just like a very hot fire, but it was so that any impurities in us got burned away, leaving only our purity behind.
It was a little too abstract for them, probably, but hopefully the image nestled in their heads before we moved on to the next topic of conversation. May we all be open to our Great Refiner's work in our lives, not shunning the heat but understanding its role in perfecting us.
73-91 born SEA lived SJC 00 married (Amy) home (UCity) 05 Jada (PRC) 07 Aaron (ROC) 15 Asher (OKC) | 91-95 BS Wharton (Acctg Mgmt) 04-06 MPA Fels (EconDev PubFnc) 12-19 Prof GAFL517 (Fels) | 95-05 EVP Enterprise Ctr 06-12 Dir Econsult Corp 13-26 Principal Econsult Solutions 18-21 Phila School Board 19- Owner Lee A Huang Rentals LLC | Bds/Adv: Penn Weitzman, PIDC, YMCA | Mmbr: Brit Amer Project, James Brister Society
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Those Jobs are Gone
This podcast of Ezra Klein interviewing Bill Gates is making the rounds in my social feeds. Gates is a trusted authority on technology, a...
-
PHILADELPHIA NAMED BEST CITY FOR NEW GRADS How about Philly besting Boston, New York, Chicago, Atlanta, and every other city in America for ...
-
I came to bell hooks late. I was already in my 20s, already a parent, and firmly fed up with the ways that white middle class feminism Oth...

No comments:
Post a Comment