What Would Jesus Do (with $656 Million)

John Piper calls the Mega Millions lottery "a suicidal craze."  Jodi Beggs of "Economists Do It with Models" cites a number of studies that discuss that playing lotteries is a losing proposition and that even winning doesn't always make you happier.  So you should stay away, right?

I'm more sanguine.  To be sure, the odds aren't in your favor, money doesn't solve everything, and covetousness will kill your soul. But there's entertainment value, probably exceeding one dollar in worth, in buying a ticket and holding your breath along with all your crazed friends.

And, it's not a bad thing to think about what you would do with a million dollars (or, in this case, well over half a billion dollars).  Since money is such a window into our soul, it's actually a darn good exercise for determining what's important to you, and what you like and don't like about your current station in life.

On that note, are there any Christians who are using this opportunity to talk about meaningful issues with their co-workers, friends, and family members?  Wouldn't it be grand if, while others were talking about quitting their jobs and going on vacations and buying fancy cars, we could share how we would maximize kingdom accomplishments rather than personal pleasures?

Gathered around the water cooler, batting cage, or dinner table, as person after person emotes about what they'd do with all that money, what is a better Christian's response than to have a ready answer for what is really worth investing cold hard cash in on this side of glory?  Isn't that a question worth having a good response to? 

Rather than tsk-tsking, or smugly patting ourselves on the back for avoiding the temptation altogether, maybe more of us should buy tickets.  If a dollar is all it costs to buy ourselves admission into having a meaningful conversation with our co-workers, friends, and family members about what is truly valuable, I say that's a dollar well worth spending.

Comments

Grundy said…
Based on the post title, I was hoping for your take on how to spend the money, or how Jesus might. The drawing is over, but the exercise is still valid.

Me? I'd quit my job, certainly, but I wouldn't retire. I would spend my time trying to make a difference doing pro-bono work for organizations I believe in. A little hands on stuff for Habitat for Humanity maybe, just because I'm already familiar with them. Mostly design work, since that is my profession. I would also give a large chunk to charity, but I imagine I'd have a new car in my future too.
LH said…
Grundy, thanks for sharing. I think most of us would be hard-pressed to not buy a new car if we had $656 million in spending cash! Thanks for being honest.

I hope that, even if you don't win the lottery, you'll still be able to do some of the things you listed, because they sound like things that are rewarding for you.

Popular Posts