The Result of All That Waiting is More Waiting

We got notice from Penn Alexander that Aaron has been wait-listed for kindergarten.  If you recall, we were #65 in line in January.  With three classes, an unknown number of kids in line who would eventually go somewhere else, and an uncertain class size for the fall, it was anyone's guess as to whether #65 was enough to get us a coveted spot.  I guessed at the time that we would be wait-listed but that we would eventually get in.  So far I'm 1 for 1 in my predictions.  Let's hope I go 2 for 2.

Because we live in its catchment area, and you're not allowed to send your kid to a school if you don't live in its catchment area, now I have to go to Penn Alexander to fill out a Pupil Transfer Request Extenuating Circumstances Form, which basically allows me to fill out an application at another school without that school saying, "You can't apply to us; you're supposed to send your kid to the school whose catchment you live in."  Then I can go to another school (likely Lea Elementary) and fill out an application at that school, so that we at least have a spot for Aaron for the fall, while sweating out the wait to see if Penn Alexander will have space for him.

Needless to say, I am bummed.  Though I believe our odds are good that we will eventually get a spot for Aaron before the school year starts, I am so busy during the day at my job that having to return to University City for two errands and two sets of forms is not at all appealing to me.

I suspect that being on the wait-list does not mean that in order for my kid to get a spot, some other kid has to move or leave.  Rather, the school is likely playing it safe, sending approval notices to a smaller group of kids that it know it can for sure accommodate, and buying themselves some time to see how many more kids they can let in.  As was announced with much fanfare earlier this month, University of Pennsylvania has officially agreed to pony up more money to enable a fourth kindergarten class.  But I'm not certain as to when that kicks in.  If it's for the 2012-2013 academic year, then I have to think that Aaron is in.  But we'll have to wait for now.

Comments

Popular Posts