Lazy Linking, 50th in an Occasional Series


Stuff I liked lately on the Internets:

50.1. Liu Bolin is still hard to see.

50.2. Hey Big Apple, why the big crackdown on your cyclists?

50.3. 69 percent of participating Economist readers said we're in a tech bubble. I am not one of them.

50.4. Love the way this data on top seasons by position in the NBA is laid out. And how about Magic owning the point guard position for a whole decade?

50.5. Traditional batteries going the way of the VHS tape. (And I would add the incandescent light bulb.)

50.6. Dammit, Oxford University, which is it - comma or no comma after the second to last thing in a list? (For the record, I always put in a comma.)

50.7. When considering how to manage our cities, we ought to ask more often, "won't someone think of the children?" [Hat tip: Tim Harford. Also from Tim Harford - "There are 10 types of people in the world: those who understand binary, and those who don't."]

50.8. Remember when MySpace was the "it" site in 2005? (So long ago in social media time.) News Corp bought it for $580 million that year, and sold it last week . . . for a 94 percent loss. [Hat tip: the Consumerist.]

50.9. The Economist gives us two thousand years of economic output and aggregate human years lived, all in one chart. [Hat tip: Cafe Hayek.]

50.10. A chair made out of books.

Comments

Joel GL said…
As a general rule, it seems wrong to put a comma before "and", in general. I make an exception for something like "Lies, damned lies, and statistics" because that's not really a list, and the comma helps build up to the "punch line" of "statistics".

I'm a stickler for rules though, and I was taught that the rule is no comma before the last item in a list appearing in a sentence. I do think there are many more important rules than that, however, that are routinely broken in semi-formal contexts.

And now, for the non-sequitur of the day, one of the lines from pop culture that I love to hate: "Although I cannot forget from where it is that I come from..." (from "Small Town" by John [Cougar] Mellencamp)
Joel GL said…
And yes, I just said "general" twice in the same relatively short sentence.
Joel GL said…
Ooh-- since I put that John Cougar (whatever his name) thing in, I have to add this one from the Beatles:

"...this world in which we live in..." (from "Live and Let Die")

Popular Posts