God Behaving Badly


I owe a debt of gratitude to Dave Lamb, whose first book, "God Behaving Badly: Is the God of the Old Testament Angry, Sexist, and Racist?" was recently published by InterVarsity Press. Dave took me under his wing my sophomore year in college, and that was a formative time in my Christian leadership and overall spiritual development. His exhortations, rebukes, and instructions continue to mold my understanding of God and self to this day. I am thankful for his presence in my life and for our continued friendship.

It is often said that relationships are far more memorable and impactful than sermons, and that is true. The point is often made by asking yourself to try to remember five meaningful sermons, and then to try to remember five meaningful relationships. While it is always easier to remember the relationships than the sermons, I can tell you that Dave is such a gifted teacher that I can actually remember at least five of his talks I have heard him give. All were a combination of clever visual aids, insightful connections to modern times, and probing analysis of the Scriptures.

I have not yet gotten a chance to read his new book, but he told me a little about it last year when I saw him last, and so I know that the book is true to his teaching style and teaching gifts. Simply put, Dave is interesting because God is interesting. Dave, here's hoping the book sells well, not for personal glory and gain, but so that more can encounter our interesting God and be captivated like we are.

Comments

Popular Posts