Surviving the Snow


Wednesday night's big snow led to Thursday's big snow-in: all three of our kids' schools closed for the day, meaning I would have to be productive at home (where I'm never productive, even if the kids aren't there) while keeping an eye and an ear on two rambunctious little ones, all the while holding my breath that Amy would be OK on the roads. In short, I was not looking forward to waking up on Thursday morning.

But everything turned out pretty good. I got some exercise in before anyone woke up, and then headed out to shovel the sidewalk and the car. I confirmed the school closings, told the kids how the day was going to play out, and then saw Amy off.

The kids settled into TV and I settled, surprisingly, into a productive work day. I suppose I had a few pangs of guilt that I was letting my kids' brains rot with hour after consecutive hour of PBS Kids, fortified by popcorn and peanut butter sandwiches. But the guilt went away pretty quick; after all, I was, for once, in the zone at home. And, so I could finally exhale, Amy got home safely and early, with donuts in hand no less.

I don't wish any more snow days on this family. But at least we survived this one.

Comments

Popular Posts