Doubling Down on My Sports Loyalties



The many childhood hours I spent rooting on my A's and Raiders is far in the rearview mirror, and living in Philadelphia means a steady dose of Phillies and Eagles coverage. That, plus less and less free time, has meant less and less available energy to expend in the direction of my two remaining sports loyalties.

But devotion to one's teams runs thick. And so I arise this morning with a little bit of a chip on my shoulder as a result of my teams and players receiving recent slights:

* The word on the street is that the Pittsburgh Steelers are trying to send a message to embattled quarterback Ben Roethlisberger, who has made some questionable decisions regarding his personal life, by threatening to trade him to the Raiders. Yes, the team that played in the Super Bowl barely seven years ago has become such a joke that the possibility of playing for it is now used as punishment.

* Arch villain Alex Rodriguez of the hated New York Yankees broke an unwritten rule of etiquette in baseball when, after returning to first base after a foul ball, he ran right across the pitcher's mound. A's pitcher Dallas Braden barked at him between pitches, and then, after inducing an inning-ending double play, continued to yell at Rodriguez, "Get off my mound," to which Rodriguez responded with a dismissive wave of the hand. When interviewed after the game, Rodriguez continued to be scornful: "I was a little surprised. I've never quite heard that, especially from a guy that has a handful of wins in his career. I've never even heard of that in my career and I still don't know. I thought it was pretty funny, actually." Mr. Rodriguez, you may not want to get too comfortable the next time you're in the batter's box when Mr. Braden is pitching.

Following the Phillies and Eagles in the local press has been fun, especially given their recent successes. Everybody loves a winner, and team success means good things for the city, so they have my support. But recent media coverage about how my two teams are perceived by others in their leagues reminds me where my true sports loyalties lie.

Comments

Nicholas said…
Man, that just enhances my dislike for A-rod and the Yankees in general. What a jerk.

Come on, though, Lee - move on from the past! The A's and the Raiders don't love you anymore. Receive the Phanatic's fuzzy green embrace.
JP in PHL said…
I can't believe you jumped on the Steelers for threatening exile to the Raiders, but didn't comment at all on Andy Reid not wanting to trade McNabb to Oakland for the same reason.

As for A-Rod, if the level of his character even remotely approached that of his talent, he wouldn't be such a waste of conversation.
LH said…
Nicholas, I do love the Phanatic. In fact, I have a Phanatic story that I will have to tell you sometime. But yes, the Phanatic is hands-down the best mascot in the league.

JP in PHL, I was not aware that Andy Reid came out and said "no McNabb to the Raiders because that wouldn't be a good thing for him." Quite frankly, I hadn't followed the Eagles' QB situation that closely at all. Although, if you want my uninformed opinion anyway, I would say 1) it was a good trade for the Eagles, but 2) they could've made it a better trade for themselves and for McNabb if they had pulled the trigger faster.

And to the both of you, I'm glad we all agree: A-Rod is a tool.
Nicholas said…
Wonder how A-rod feels now that Braden has thrown a perfect game? Don't think he has ever hit for the cycle...
LH said…
Nicholas - Indeed. Way to go, Braden! And, as his grandmother said to the press: "Stick it, A-Rod."

Popular Posts