Hitler's Other Scapegoated Group


I made a quick detour on my way home from a meeting downtown earlier this week to walk through a fascinating exhibit at the William Way Center. Entitled "Nazi Persecution of Homosexuals: 1933 - 1945," the exhibit tells the story of how male homosexuality was criminalized under Hitler. Hitler blamed the homosexuals for Germany's population decline; never mind that Germany had just lost 2 million men in the prime of their lives in World War I. He also accused gays of being subversive to the Aryan nation because of their propensity to form their own sub-groups; these accusations were grounds for arrest, abuse, and punishment via concentration camps. I guess you could call gays Hitler's other scapegoated group.

It never fails to astound me that these and other atrocities existed so recently in human history. I wonder what injustices we will be telling our grandkids that we allowed to take place in the earliest years of this century. Though the material was shocking, it was important for me to see; and it is important for us to be aware of the great evil we are capable of, so that we can be mindful to defeat it in our own lives and in our generation.

Comments

Joel GL said…
Lee, thanks for the post. Recently I have come to believe that the "gay question" is the biggest social issue facing the American Church right now, on a level with slavery in the period covered by the war for independence up to the war between the states. Bigger than abortion, etc. And of course, the "question" is in some ways just the tip of a bigger spiritual and philosophical iceberg, just as slavery was.
LH said…
Joel, thanks for chiming in. Can you clarify what you believe the "gay question" to be? Is it gay rights in general? Gay marriage? Discrimination or hate crimes against gays? Whether homosexuality is innate? I think you're right that this is one of those "tip of the iceberg" issues, but I want to make sure I understand what "tip" you are referring to.
Joel GL said…
I guess I'm talking about gay marriage, since that is the thing that makes it impossible for gays to do all these three things at once, in the PCUSA: 1) have a sexual/romantic relationship, like non-gays do, 2) be ordained to a leadership position (deacon or elder), 3) tell the truth openly, about who they are.

The "iceberg" involves differing views on the concept of "social norms", differing ways of interpreting scripture, and differing ideas about how the Church is to be kept from being changed by society, etc.

Popular Posts