Parking Wars


I don't watch much TV, let alone obscure cable shows, but the furor about how Philly's meter maids are portrayed in "Parking Wars" has reached even me. The Inquirer recently reported that leaders are in a tizzy about the bad reputation associated with aggressive enforcement of expired meters. Out-of-towners are quoted as saying they'll never return, on account of their precious cars being ticketed, booted, and towed. Even Buzz Bissinger used "Parking Wars" in his rant against Mayor Nutter, saying that Ed Rendell would've never stood for this.

Apparently the irony is lost on most people that we are complaining that a municipality is being too efficient in its enforcement of a clearly stated set of rules. Rudeness I can understand being upset about, but I have to think some of what's going on here is people expecting to have a little grace period when it comes to their meters; to be ticketed just minutes after expiration seems cruel rather than expected. Or perhaps many out-of-towners find paying for parking to itself be an affront; after all, isn't free parking our birthright as Americans?

Needless to say, while I hate to see Philly painted in a bad light, I'll take my offense with the rudeness part rather than the "we efficiently and consistently enforce the law" part. I thought we wanted more of that out of our municipal workers; hence the dissonance in my ears of hearing people complain about it when we finally get it.

Comments

Daniel Nairn said…
Yeah, this drives me nuts. You hear the same thing about speeding. It's assumed that you never get a ticket unless traveling 10 miles over the speed limit, and even then people almost always complain about it. Just a little while ago I listened as an otherwise law-abiding friend of mine explained to me the elaborate system she uses in deceiving the police to get out of traffic tickets. The idea that this might be in any way wrong never entered the conversation (I didn't say anything either, which I regret).

I can't think of any other part of the law where we expect this kind of leniency (except maybe copyright law). We wouldn't say that shoplifting is ok, as long as the item is not that expensive.
LH said…
Daniel, thanks for chiming in. It reminds me of something I posted on March 23, 2009 - "The importance of our childrens' education is so important than otherwise moral friends of mine have not only cheated to get their kids into a better school (by providing a false home address) but consider such an act to be not wrong and in fact very right. For who can argue with doing whatever you can to give your kids the best?" Funny how selective our morality is sometimes.

Popular Posts