1.15.2009

To Live and Die

Maybe it's because I just celebrated a birthday. Maybe it's because I've been sick for three weeks and counting. For whatever reason, I am ever more aware of my mortality, the indisputable fact that I will not live forever and that I will indeed some day die.

I guess that's why this line from writer and theologian Richard John Neuhaus, as quoted by New York Times columnist David Brooks, resonated with me so much: “Be assured that I neither fear to die nor refuse to live. If it is to die, all that has been is but a slight intimation of what is to be. If it is to live, there is much I hope to do in the interim.”

Those of you who know your Bibles will instantly think of a similar line by the apostle Paul: "For to me, to live is Christ and to die is gain. But if I am to live on in the flesh, this will mean fruitful labor for me; and I do not know which to choose. But I am hard-pressed from both directions, having the desire to depart and be with Christ, for that is very much better; yet to remain on in the flesh is more necessary for your sake." (Philippians 1:21-24)

This is the sole aim of the Christian life: to come to such a place of faith that death, however dreadful it is, is not feared as the ultimate end but rather accepted as the great transition to something unimaginably greater; and to know that whatever days we are given between now and then are to be lived for a purpose, for others, for fruitful labor. May we too be as Neuhaus and Paul: not afraid to die and not afraid to live.

3 comments:

Daniel Nairn said...

When I subscribed to First Things, I would immediately jump to Neuhauses commentary in the back. He was "blogging" on paper before any of this was around :)

Thanks for the reminder of this. I need that to be jolted to my senses sometimes.

Nicholas said...

I favor John Piper: "Better to lose your life than to waste it."

LH said...

Daniel, thanks for that connection; it's been years since I read an issue of First Things, and I didn't even realize he was a regular contributor.

It's Long Overdue But Now Philly's Slamming

    The announcement of LeBron James choosing to play for the Philadelphia 76ers for the next two years hit our fair city like a lightning b...