WHO AM I
My co-worker sending me this article on conservatives' identity crisis has tipped me to posting something I've been meaning to post for a little bit now. While I gladly self-identify as Republican and Christian, these have become loaded terms that make for quick sorting. The only problem is that I don't belong to any of the big categories that people tend to sort Republicans and Christians into:
* I'm not of the Religious Right, although I believe in the inerrancy of the Bible and in salvation through faith in Jesus.
* I'm not of the Progressive Left, whose anti-war slant I find naive and whose social justice heart is commendable save for the fact that they methods they propose will lead only to more injustice.
* Just when you think you've pegged me as a fiscal conservative, I start frothing at the mouth about the importance of implementing a very high gas tax at the national level.
* Just when you think you've pegged me as a social conservative, I casually remark that I think gay marriages should be legitimized.
* And just when you think I've eased myself into that sensible moderate middle, I tell you we need to be more muscular on the world stage, not less.
I guess I'm used to swimming against the tide, so it's OK if I defy easy categorization and don't have a natural grouping to identify with. I even relish this uniqueness sometimes, as it allows me to play the counter-cultural, as well as to have plentiful opportunities to learn from others whose perspectives are different than mine. But it's telling that I am so relieved and feel such a kinship when I meet another person who is young, urban, minority, Republican, and Christian. Everybody needs a group; mine's just smaller than most.
73-91 born SEA lived SJC 00 married (Amy) home (UCity) 05 Jada (PRC) 07 Aaron (ROC) 15 Asher (OKC) | 91-95 BS Wharton (Acctg Mgmt) 04-06 MPA Fels (EconDev PubFnc) 12-19 Prof GAFL517 (Fels) | 95-05 EVP Enterprise Ctr 06-12 Dir Econsult Corp 13-26 Principal Econsult Solutions 18-21 Phila School Board 19- Owner Lee A Huang Rentals LLC | Bds/Adv: Penn Weitzman, PIDC, YMCA | Mmbr: Brit Amer Project, James Brister Society
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
It's Long Overdue But Now Philly's Slamming
The announcement of LeBron James choosing to play for the Philadelphia 76ers for the next two years hit our fair city like a lightning b...
-
PHILADELPHIA NAMED BEST CITY FOR NEW GRADS How about Philly besting Boston, New York, Chicago, Atlanta, and every other city in America for ...
-
I recently had a humorous but telling incident on my bus ride into work. It being rush hour, the vehicle is often crowded and even standin...
No comments:
Post a Comment