EVERYBODY COUNTS

There has been a lot said - positive and negative - about John McCain's selection for Vice President. I myself am both impressed and worried. But one thing from reading Sarah Palin's speech last night that moved me to tears - and to blogging - was her comment about special needs children:

"To the families of special-needs children all across this country, I have a message for you: For years, you've sought to make America a more welcoming place for your sons and daughters. And I pledge to you that, if we're elected, you will have a friend and advocate in the White House."

Abortion has surprisingly jumped back into the limelight, as the Republicans seek to court values voters. It can be a nasty, contentious, and political (in the negative sense of that word) topic. I'm not a fan of such rancor, and am not trying to add to the cacophony of words in that vein.

But I do believe that every child counts. My two kids were not born into this world under normal circumstances. Many babies enter life with two and a half strikes against them. Some will have to deal with their special needs for the rest of their lives.

And all of them matter to God. He makes no mistakes when he makes life - none in the make-up of each precious child, and none in what family or situation into which they are birthed. He has a purpose for each of them, and for the families that love them; a glorious, life-giving purpose.

Everybody counts. Wherever our candidates, and we who vote for them, are on particular issues, I hope we can reclaim that truth, fight for it, and tell it to the world.

Comments

Popular Posts