REMEMBERING EVANS

Sam Evans passed away earlier this year at the age of 105. He was a giant in local politics, a man of tremendous influence. The Inky reported this morning on his wake inside City Hall, the first ever in the city's history.

I am one of tens of thousands who has at least one Sam Evans anecdote. My brush with him was five years back, when he was 100. We were hosting a luncheon for the First Lady of Cote d'Ivoire, and some of the people that I met at the event told me Sam Evans was there and that I had to meet him.

I have to confess that at the time, I hadn't heard of him, but I sensed this was someone important to meet. What impressed me about the man was his mental sharpness, not to mention that he seemed in great physical condition. We shook hands, exchanged a few comments, and that was that.

I was not able to attend the wake, but would like to offer my respects and praise for a man who was truly a difference maker, and someone who's name and legacy will continue on for many generations. Philadelphia is richer for his efforts, and no one should forget it.

Comments

Popular Posts