Walking in a Autocentric World

God gave me two working legs, and whenever I can, I try to use them.
This puts me at odds at times in an increasingly autocentric world.
Two years ago, when our family car pooped out, I rode the regional
rail into the burbs, walking three-quarters of a mile from the station
to the auto dealer, and getting strange looks from cars whizzing by.
People speak in hushed tones when Amy and I go for a walk around my
parents' neighborhood in suburban San Jose: are they poor, deranged,
and/or dangerous?

Where our kids go to day care is four blocks from my office, so I walk
them there and then walk to work, reversing my commute on the way
home. Our day care does not allow strollers to be stored on site, so
I walk an empty stroller four blocks between there and my office.
Admittedly, it is a strange site: a man in a suit pushing an empty
stroller down a busy street. (What percentage of working parents do
you think walk their kids to day care and then walk their stroller to
work: 1 out of 1000? 1 out of 10,000?)

Still, I'm a little tired of the razzing. In addition to quizzical
looks, I've gotten smirks, bad jokes, and mocking. One clever young
lad managed to call me a girl and the n-word all in one
compactly-worded insult.

I take it all in stride (literally!). Still, it saddens me that
walking around like I do should seem such a source of teasing. We've
been walking for a long time and driving cars for just a sliver of
that time, yet we've made ourselves quite an autocentric world.

Comments

Daniel Nairn said…
It's funny. I completely relate to this from when I lived out on the East Coast. But out here in Montana, even though there are plenty of cars, people actual hold the pedestrians in really high esteem. Cars will even stop for you if you wait on the side of the road. Then again, it could be that this is a college town.

Popular Posts