WATER IN CHINA
In the run-up to this summer's Olympics, I had heard before of how countries were planning to send their athletes to nearby countries to train, but not to China because of air quality; and I had heard that Beijing was thinking about literally shutting down all industrial activity for two months before the Games to clear out the air.
But this is the first I've read about another, potentially larger environmental concern: "China Has Been Moving the Earth to Gain Water." The nation whose appetite for oil and steel has been well-documented apparently is as thirsty as it is hungry, with potentially disastrous consequences for the local environment.
Even worse, Beijing has responded in desperation with plans to divert water from rural farms to ensure adequate supply for the Olympics, further exacerbating a poor rural / rich urban divide. I had predicted late last year that China would suffer an environmental disaster embarrassingly close to the Games, and a few times about growing unrest between rich and poor (here, here, and here). I hope to be wrong on two counts; but sadly, in both cases, my odds of being right appear to have increased.
73-91 born SEA lived SJC 00 married (Amy) home (UCity) 05 Jada (PRC) 07 Aaron (ROC) 15 Asher (OKC) | 91-95 BS Wharton (Acctg Mgmt) 04-06 MPA Fels (EconDev PubFnc) 12-19 Prof GAFL517 (Fels) | 95-05 EVP Enterprise Ctr 06-12 Dir Econsult Corp 13-26 Principal Econsult Solutions 18-21 Phila School Board 19- Owner Lee A Huang Rentals LLC | Bds/Adv: Penn Weitzman, PIDC, YMCA | Mmbr: Brit Amer Project, James Brister Society
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Be Pervious
In the planning profession, there is something called "pervious" versus "impervious," with the former representing thi...
-
PHILADELPHIA NAMED BEST CITY FOR NEW GRADS How about Philly besting Boston, New York, Chicago, Atlanta, and every other city in America for ...
-
I came to bell hooks late. I was already in my 20s, already a parent, and firmly fed up with the ways that white middle class feminism Oth...
No comments:
Post a Comment