THE STATE OF BLACK PHILADELPHIA

Earlier this month, the Urban League of Philadelphia released "The State of Black Philadelphia," a report they put out every five or six years. (I ghost-wrote an article on the digital divide in their 1996 version.)

Now that I write these kinds of documents for a living, my standard for evaluating such reports is much higher, and I must say this version passes with flying colors. There a few nicely written articles in the front, and then a thorough walk-through of indicators in five categories: economics, health, education, civic engagement, and social justice. These indicators are the sum of a number of sub-indicators, and themselves sum to a total equality index.

I encourage you to order yourself a free copy, and not only read it but consider what you might be able to put into motion vis a vis the report's recommendations section. Everybody wins when everybody has a chance.

Comments

Popular Posts