A Pretty Easy Carbon Offset

I'll never be accused of being a tax-and-spender, but I have to tell
you that one area that I'm all about higher taxes is on carbon. Most
economists will tell you a carbon tax is a much preferred behavior
modifier and revenue raiser than the cap-and-trade approaches a lot of
policymakers are pushing for. Unfortunately, anything that's called a
tax is DOA nowadays.

Which is unfortunate, because a carbon tax is not at all a painful
tax. I just went to carbonfund.org to renew my carbon offset (six
months late, by the way; you may recall I wrote about this site last
June). I punched our family's utilities consumption, gas mileage, and
plane trips into their calculator, and it told me I could completely
offset my family's carbon consumption for less than $100.

There are a lot of ways taxes could get $100 from me. Let's assume we
avoid taxes on utilities, since a lot of people struggle to pay
utilities bills, and since it's such a life essential that any
behavior modification would be on the margins. Our family drives 8000
miles a year; so a one-cent vehicle mile tax would extract $80 from my
family. Tack on $5 per person for our annual flight to California,
and there's another $20. Voila - $100 in tax revenues from the Huang
family.

I haven't run the numbers for other car and plane amounts, but I have
to think it's all pretty painless to a family's bottom line. In other
words, if you implement tax increases on the orders of magnitude
described above, you completely offset everyone's carbon consumption.

Politicians, I know tax increases are unpalatable, but the ones
required to become carbon-neutral are really not that painful. What
is painful is the future we'd be leaving to our children and our
children's children if we didn't do anything about it.

Comments

Popular Posts