Door to Door in the Neighborhood

Yesterday and today I took the kids door to door around the
neighborhood to drop off pamphlets for my friend David Oh, who is
running for City Council at Large here in Philadelphia. David's
campaign office gave me a list of names and addresses to distribute
materials to in our ward - the 23rd Division of the 46th Ward is 3
blocks by 4 blocks - with explicit instructions that I was not to put
anything in anyone's mailbox, only on their doorstep, per election
rules. It hearkened me back to the few times I delivered newspapers
as a kid.

Of course, back then, I didn't have a 2 1/2 year old or a 10 month old
in tow. So things took longer than if I did it solo. But I chose for
them to tag along, not in the least because Jada walking the 24 blocks
with me and climbing up and down 50+ sets of porch steps would help
tire her out. I want them to know what it means to be an active
citizen, that one of the things you do is, when you find someone who
would make a good public servant, you get out there on a weekend and
wear out some shoe leather to help get him elected.

Comments

Popular Posts