What Are You Up To

Cocktail conversation is most interesting when people share about the things they're into, and others are able to jump off those things and add their things. Usually, it's about leisure stuff -- where you vacationed, what hobbies you're into, or what hot restaurant or club you recently tried out. Seeing us how my leisure time consists of doing crossword puzzles and reading in bed, I don't have much to offer the cocktail conversation hopper there.

But the other angle to this is not the leisure stuff but the work stuff. Not necessarily the boring stuff of what we do from 9 to 5, although for many of us, the stuff we get to roll up our sleeves around for our day jobs is pretty cool. But rather the other stuff we're into, through colleagues and networking and boards.

So here's what I'm up to, and if anything of these things sparks a thought for you and you have something to add to the mix, reach out to me; and tell me what you're up to, and I'll reach out to you if that sparks a thought for me and I have something to add to the mix:

* David Oh, who I campaigned for in 2003 when he ran for City Council at Large, is gearing up to run again in 2007. He fell about 15,000 votes short last time, so we're hoping to get him through this time.

* David and I are also working on a charter school in Southwest Philadelphia that will most likely have a science and engineering focus.

* I'm helping my friend Stella set up a foundation in honor of her late husband and my best friend Glenn, whose love for Africa and transportation will live on in Stella's tireless and promising work.

* I'm looking forward to joining the board of The Enterprise Center, where I worked for ten years, to contribute as a board member in different and new ways from how I was able to contribute as a staff member.

* I'm sitting on a personnel team at church to provide support and accountability for our pastors, who are leading us through a time of transition in our congregation and who themselves seek clarity in fulfilling their shared role as a married couple holding down one full-time job.

One of the nice things about Philadelphia is the sheer number of interesting works that are being done. This can't be just because of the circles I run in, right? It has to be that there's something in the DNA of Philadelphians that is innovative and service-oriented. Whereas most of my friends outside of Philadelphia are either in regular professions or in full-time ministry, I count among my associates here in the city those whose professions double as ministries: educators, law enforcement officials, politicians, real estate and economic development gurus, artists, and of course, non-profit leaders.

Add all these interesting stories together, stir, and now you've got yourself some interesting cocktail conversation. So what are you up to?

Comments

Popular Posts