Prepared for the Worst

(originally posted on the evening of July 19, 2006)

Philadelphia recently published its report of the Mayor's Emergency Preparedness Review Committee, which you can find at http://www.phila.gov/pdfs/EPRC_Final_Report.pdf . A lot of us have pointed fingers at all levels of government for the disaster that was the response to the disaster that was Hurricane Katrina. I'm not saying that the finger-pointing wasn't justified -- in fact, I believe it was -- but let's also look to where our other three fingers are pointing when we point: ourselves. Do we know the relevant details of our own city's disaster plan? Have we done our part to participate in its formation? And are we ready if, God forbid, we should need to participate in its implementation, particularly as it relates to making sure the most vulnerable among us are OK? I consider myself a pretty responsible person, and while I'm happy about some of the prep I've done in this area, there's still a lot I can do to protect myself, my family, and others in my community.

I hope you'll join me in reading Philadelphia's (and/or your own city's) disaster plan, and in making appropriate preparations for the worst. We don't wish for the worst, of course, but we know that if we are ready, the worst can bring out the best in us. Let's prepare accordingly.

Comments

Popular Posts