STUDYING THE BIBLE IS LIKE SURFING THE INTERNET
I attended our church’s men’s Bible study meeting this morning. We Presbyterians are quite efficient: 30 minutes of Bible study, 10 minutes of sharing, 20 minutes of prayer, and by 7:30am we are all out of the door and on to the rest of our days.
The group has been making our way through the book of Hebrews, and as we studied this morning I couldn’t help but draw a parallel between reading the Bible and surfing the Internet. When you surf the net, as you’re reading something, there’s a link on a name so you can get more detail, there are related stories on the side panel, and the format of similar contented pages is similar.
And so it is with the Bible. We constantly flipped back and forth to read the quoted Old Testament passages in their original context. We noticed parallels between the author’s main points and the main points of another New Testament book. We made note of repeated words and phrases, and saw in the parallel structure more of what was really being said.
For someone who gets a lot of information off the Internet, studying the Bible this morning with other men from the church suited me just fine. I look forward to doing more “surfing,” “double-clicking,” and “scrolling” next week!
73-91 born SEA lived SJC 00 married (Amy) home (UCity) 05 Jada (PRC) 07 Aaron (ROC) 15 Asher (OKC) | 91-95 BS Wharton (Acctg Mgmt) 04-06 MPA Fels (EconDev PubFnc) 12-19 Prof GAFL517 (Fels) | 95-05 EVP Enterprise Ctr 06-12 Dir Econsult Corp 13-26 Principal Econsult Solutions 18-21 Phila School Board 19- Owner Lee A Huang Rentals LLC | Bds/Adv: Penn Weitzman, PIDC, YMCA | Mmbr: Brit Amer Project, James Brister Society
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Course Correction
They say that how you do one thing is how you do everything. I'm not sure that's true. But I do know that how you play golf is a p...
-
PHILADELPHIA NAMED BEST CITY FOR NEW GRADS How about Philly besting Boston, New York, Chicago, Atlanta, and every other city in America for ...
-
I came to bell hooks late. I was already in my 20s, already a parent, and firmly fed up with the ways that white middle class feminism Oth...
No comments:
Post a Comment