THE GAME OF POLITICS
I can’t go into too much detail as to the setting in which this situation came up, but I was reminded earlier this month that political office isn’t just about finding the best person for the job. In fact, sometimes it’s not about that at all, but rather who can get elected, what you can gain by running even if you lose, and what else is going on in your party that might help or hinder your candidacy.
It all sort of reminds me of the better reality TV shows. Alliances are formed, deals are cut, and people settle into familiar caricatures (“the loose cannon,” “the conniver,” “the hot chick”). Meanwhile, somebody moans about how they don’t want to stoop to such deceit and doubletalk: “I’m going to be true to myself, and if that costs me the game, so be it.” And just like in politics, they get voted off.
I shouldn’t be so cynical. Even the slimiest politicians have some bone in their body that seeks to serve the public interest (even if their ego or lust skews their sense of what is good for the public). The two-party system in our country, for all of its foibles, is a sound way to ensure choice and accountability. And more often than not, the best man or woman for the job does in fact win.
So politics isn’t so bad. But I should never forget that it’s still a game.
73-91 born SEA lived SJC 00 married (Amy) home (UCity) 05 Jada (PRC) 07 Aaron (ROC) 15 Asher (OKC) | 91-95 BS Wharton (Acctg Mgmt) 04-06 MPA Fels (EconDev PubFnc) 12-19 Prof GAFL517 (Fels) | 95-05 EVP Enterprise Ctr 06-12 Dir Econsult Corp 13-26 Principal Econsult Solutions 18-21 Phila School Board 19- Owner Lee A Huang Rentals LLC | Bds/Adv: Penn Weitzman, PIDC, YMCA | Mmbr: Brit Amer Project, James Brister Society
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Course Correction
They say that how you do one thing is how you do everything. I'm not sure that's true. But I do know that how you play golf is a p...
-
PHILADELPHIA NAMED BEST CITY FOR NEW GRADS How about Philly besting Boston, New York, Chicago, Atlanta, and every other city in America for ...
-
I came to bell hooks late. I was already in my 20s, already a parent, and firmly fed up with the ways that white middle class feminism Oth...
No comments:
Post a Comment