PREPARING FOR A SPECIAL BABY

I’ve spent my vacation so far working on a variety of house projects in preparation for bringing our adopted child home from China. Even though it’s likely going to be nine months until this happens, I figured I’d make the most of this week of no work and no school. So I’ve been scraping old paint and sanding rugged walls and organizing various rooms.

It finally occurred to me, barely six days before Christmas but a full four weeks since the Christmas music began in earnest, that this is a season about preparing for a special baby. While I’ve been a little miffed with the recent uproar I’ve heard from Christians in this country about reclaiming this season for Jesus – there are other religious holidays and family observances going on other than those of the Christian faith, folks – it is true that this time of year hold special significance for those who follow Jesus.

It is not likely that Jesus’ birthday was December 25th, or even close to it. And yet it is good this time of year to reflect on the birth of our Savior, the scandalous arrival of God Incarnate into our world. So as I scurry about getting our house and our lives ready for our baby, may I remember to make room in my heart to prepare for another special baby.

Comments

Popular Posts