ONE-WAY TICKET

Well, we’ve done what we can on our side re: adoption paperwork. Now it’s bouncing around the country getting certifications and authentications, hopefully en route to China where they will look to find a match for us. We’re so excited.

As I was reviewing the fee sheet, I noticed one line that said, “One-way ticket for baby.” It brought a tear to my eye; our daughter will be flying one-way from her country of birth to her new country of citizenship. What a journey that will be for her.

It reminded me of another one-way ticket in our family. In college, I remember a holiday break that I went home to reconnect with my family. I asked my mom what it was like to move to America to go to grad school, knowing that she was leaving home and probably starting a new life here. Mom, being a person of few words, simply said, “I bought a one-way ticket.”

That was in the 1960’s. Forty years later, another Huang family member will be buying one, too.

Comments

Popular Posts