REAL WORK
I'm pretty sure treadmills, rowing machines, and Nautilus equipment didn't exist 200 years ago. They didn't need to; people got plenty of exercise in their existing daily routine of farming the land, washing clothes, and walking everywhere. Nowadays, most of America is tethered to a desk, a monitor, and a mouse for 8, 9, 10 hours a day. Then we drive to the gym, where we can walk without going anywhere and lift heavy objects.
I don't know that I would've survived 200 years ago. This week, I've spent about 15-20 hours doing manual labor. It's been mostly painting, with a little moving a friend out of his house. And I am physically beat. I'm so sore the muscles in my fingers are sore. This evening, as my friend and I were moving his washer out of his basement, I nearly dropped the thing on top of him. That's called bonking. And that's less than half a work week for your typical manual laborer.
In three centuries, our country has gone from agriculture to industrial to technological. And in three days, I've gone to aches and pains, and to a new appreciation for those who do manual labor for a living.
73-91 born SEA lived SJC 00 married (Amy) home (UCity) 05 Jada (PRC) 07 Aaron (ROC) 15 Asher (OKC) | 91-95 BS Wharton (Acctg Mgmt) 04-06 MPA Fels (EconDev PubFnc) 12-19 Prof GAFL517 (Fels) | 95-05 EVP Enterprise Ctr 06-12 Dir Econsult Corp 13-26 Principal Econsult Solutions 18-21 Phila School Board 19- Owner Lee A Huang Rentals LLC | Bds/Adv: Penn Weitzman, PIDC, YMCA | Mmbr: Brit Amer Project, James Brister Society
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Be Pervious
In the planning profession, there is something called "pervious" versus "impervious," with the former representing thi...
-
PHILADELPHIA NAMED BEST CITY FOR NEW GRADS How about Philly besting Boston, New York, Chicago, Atlanta, and every other city in America for ...
-
I came to bell hooks late. I was already in my 20s, already a parent, and firmly fed up with the ways that white middle class feminism Oth...
No comments:
Post a Comment